Spicy Fried Cauliflower
This recipe is basically the vegan version of fried chicken. It is a delicious meal and a must try for those who haven’t made it before.
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 5 cups of safflower oil (or other frying oil)
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked or sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of old bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup of hot sauce
- Cut the cauliflower into large florets.
- Add the flour, cornstarch, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, Old Bay and yeast into a mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- In a different bowl mix the hot sauce, milk and Dijon mustard.
- Whisk it until creamy.
- Heat the frying oil in a fryer or large Dutch oven.
- Dip the cauliflower florets into the hot sauce mix first, followed by the flour. Make sure it is fully coated in both mixes.
- Do this again one more time.
- Lower the now double coated cauliflower florets into the fryer and leave to cook for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Place now cooked cauliflower onto a plate with a paper towel on it.